Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sun Bleached Vintage Linens




I really love vintage linens. This set is missing Wednesday. I need to find her to complete the set. Wednesday, where are you??


This set has just been washed and hung in the sunshine. No, not to dry necessarily but to be bleached of some of the small yellow or brown stains that happen when fabric is stored for long periods of time. I've found nothing better than the sun for bleaching whites.

How to:
1.) Wash, as you usually would. I use laundry detergent and borax.
2.) When done washing, hang outside in the bright sunshine.
3.)When dry, marvel at their brightness.

PS,
Try this with tomato sauce stains, too.

4 comments:

De Anne said...

I'm going to have to try that. I too love old linens, but they do yellow with time.

kelgrandy said...

I didn't know that! Wow. Thanks for sharing such a great tip.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I had forgotten that. Hope you find Wednesday.
Glenda

BBV said...

Searching for stuff is so much fun that I might delay a serious search for Miss Wednesday LOL

Kelley, Nye had a huge nosebleed last night-I mean it was huge resembling a massacre-and today when I washed up all the linens I hung them in the sun so the blood stains would be gone for sure. Everything looks good now, YAY!