Friday, May 29, 2009

My Own Garage Sale Purge




I am in the middle of clearing out our living space. The garage sale I'm setting up for tomorrow morning is proof that I am ready to clear the slate! Homes feel better when you've whittled down all the excess baggage. I've been looking forward to lightening the load and making changes. There is one major reason why most of this stuff can't stay. It's because I am holding myself to "Love It Or Ditch It" and I don't love any of this stuff so much that I need it clogging up my house and/or yard. (I've decided not to wait to have the backyard I crave. There is no time like the present!)

I do have guidelines to this rule, however. The rule doesn't mean that I get to keep stuff I love even if it's stuffed into the back of a closet. If it's in a closet stashed away, then I'm not loving it, am I? My mental rules go something like this:

1.) Items must be used frequently.

2.) Item must make me/us happy.

3.) If item has been forgotten for a time, then it must be re-evaluated.

If I only drag it out for a holiday then I can probably let it go. Other then the need for new dinnerware, I've pretty much gotten my kitchen whittled down to the items I use most. I love opening my cupboard doors and not have a ton of plastic sippy cups rain down on me. Life is good.

4 comments:

kelgrandy said...

Wow! Good for you Brandi! I'm so jealous that you are dejunking. I wish we would get rid of some more clutter- it clogs up my mind :) When's the garage sale?

De Anne said...

Simplifying is liberating. I love the rules that you've established!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Good luck on your sale!
Glenda

BBV said...

Hey ladies!
The yard sale was yesterday-the 30th and it went very well.

We had lots of fun!

Thanks so much for visiting the blog everyone!

Hugs to you all,
Brandy