Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Feathered Friends




When we're at home, one of our little amusements is to watch out the kitchen window at the visitors to the bird feeder. Right this second I hear the call of the Red Winged Blackbird. He's not my favorite visitor because he wants to hog the whole feeder and scares off my Indigo Buntings pair. That old blackbird would empty the feeder if I let him. He flings the food all over the place making a terrible mess. Our Cardinals usually come and do some clearing up under the feeder when they get the chance.

We've had a yellow bird visiting but we can't get a good look at it. We have suspicions that it's a yellow warbler, but we're not positive. Our very favorite visitor flying past is a little Hummingbird. This little guy or gal had been stopping by the Pansies, giving the flowers little bird smooches. I'm not sure if the Pansies are a flower that will feed a Hummingbird, but I hope that little bird keeps visiting! They're just so sweet and tiny. As for the Buntings, I've been seeing many of them this year. I'm not sure why, but they seem to be everywhere lately. I have to say that I've never noticed an Indigo Bunting in my life before this spring but I sure get a kick out of how very BLUE they are.

No comments: