Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Farmers Market



This is one of a couple of pumpkins we picked up at the local farmers market. We're on a pumpkin kick over here because they're all over these days. How can anyone pass up this beautiful red pumpkin? I couldn't do it so it came home with me. I've since roasted 3 small pumpkins and the flavor is absolutely amazing.

All I did was chop them up-leaving the skins on and then brush on some olive oil and shake on salt and pepper. Roast the pieces skin side down in the oven until done which can take 30-60 minutes depending on how ginormous you chop your pieces. Once the pieces cool you can peel off the skins and use the flesh any way you like.

I used my roasted pumpkin chunks in Succotash Saturday night. The kids ate the roasted seeds and stole hot pumpkin chunks off the trays. I have enough left to take a run at making a soup. I'll let you know if it works out.





This is a little pic that makes me wish we had "smell-o-vision" or something so everyone could get a whiff of scent of roasted pumpkin. YUM!

One other item we picked up at the market was butternut squash. I've seen butternut squash at the grocery store recently for $1.59 per pound. Our seller at the market sold us the squash for 50 cents per pound. Yeah, the huge difference in price is crazy. Our market runs through the month of October so we'll be sure to hit it every Thursday to stock up on these veggies to put in the basement.

No comments: