Friday, September 30, 2011

Baby and Saffron Rice

Around here, we buy basmati rice in bulk and make saffron rice. Our kids like it so much that they often want it as a snack during the day. Belle is no exception. We made rice the other day and she sat beside me eating  while I worked on the computer. As you can see, she enjoyed it very much!




We used to live near a delicious Mediterranean restaurant where saffron rice was served in heaping mounds. This is also where my kids developed their love of garlicky hummus. Ok, I admit I nurtured my love of feta cheese at this restaurant, too. Anyway, when we have the rice, it's like we're not far from that favorite restaurant.

I have a large brick of feta cheese in my fridge which is used for many dishes. An easy snack platter of pita, greek olives and cheese is good for movie nights. Bulger wheat salad is a summer staple when yummy garden tomatoes are plentiful.

This is the recipe for saffron rice we started with. We've adapted it to our own tastes over time, but it will get you started.  



Don't be intimidated by what you may read on the internet about how to do saffron rice "correctly". Food snobs ruin the enjoyment of food so often it's not funny.  I'm not pretentious when it comes to food. I'd rather enjoy a meal and a laugh with Paula Deene than suffer an evening with Anthony  Disdain er, Bourdain. So, if you must read, take it with a grain of salt and dive in anyway!








No comments: